How to Improve Your Website Content Writing
First of all, for many of us that are in the business of creating great content for our websites, it can be a bit of a chore at times. I know that if you are starting out, it can be hard to concentrate for long periods and find enough valuable information to grab your audiences attention. I hope I have your attention!
Even experienced bloggers have off days when they are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get an inspiring post out. Other days there is so much information in the brain and not enough hours to get it all out.
Here is the process I use to come up with engaging content.
Finding Content Ideas With Meaning
A. Keyword Research
There is a technique in the industry known as ‘Alphabet Soup‘. This is one of the easiest ways to come up with new ideas for your next post. It consists of going to Google and inserting a couple of words that are part of your niche.
Lets say European travel is your niche. Type in European Travel followed by an ‘A’. Here are the results.
As you can see, 5 great topics to write about as part of your niche. Now go through each letter of the alphabet, eg: European travel B, C, D…..
You’ll be able to find enough topics for at least your first year doing this.
B. Google Around
If you’re in the camera industry for instance, look at other websites similar to your own. They may have recently picked up a few things you didn’t know about. This can be a great source of inspiration, and in the process, your website will be up with the latest information.
C. Flick a Magazine
I know that newsagents are becoming less common these days with so many magazines and newspapers concentrating on more of their online products. However, newsagents and book stores are still around and they’re a great source for finding ideas.
Magazine covers and their spreadsheet stories, are usually promoting the newest product to hit the market, or latest great idea. Feed off these to stay up with the latest technology and news in your field.
List of 10 Content Ideas
Here’s a list of sources and ideas to obtain your content from.
- Interview somebody – Write out a few questions and get somebody in your niche to answer them. They could well be quite happy to be associated with your website.
- Have a guest write for you – Other blogs with the same niche as you could well to with some exposure. Ask them to write some content and use it on your website. Link it back to their site for extra rankings bonus!
- Write a review – Review a product or service and give your thoughts. Here’s one of mine as an example. Review
- Share your success & failures – We’ve all had these so why not recount them if they are relevant to your niche.
- Use Google Trends – This is a service provided by Google to see what’s currently trending.
- Go walking – Break up your normal routine by going for a walk in a completely different part of town that you are used to. Sometimes those good ideas come from looking around.
- Get cultural – Hit a museum or go out for dinner at a foreign restaurant. Sometimes smells can bring back thoughts from long ago.
- Recycle old articles – Grab an article you wrote long ago and check to see if anything relevant has changed. Maybe add new images and re-post it.
- Ask your friends or colleagues – Friends and work colleagues can give you great ideas when it’s just not coming to you.
- Check out forums – Forums are a great source for content. People are always asking questions.
How to Get Your Content Read
As they say in the classics, content is king. By this I mean that you need quality and valuable content rather that quantity. So many times I see blocks of text stretching all the way to China. Who on earth has the time now days to read loads of text.
You want to create your content in bite size pieces. Break it up into segments, use bullet points or numbered points like above. Here’s some more pointers to guide you into creating great content reading articles.
- Use your headline wisely, tell them how they will benefit or what they will learn in your headline.
- If you have statistics that can be backed up, use them in your headline.
- Urgency gets readers. If you tell readers that they have to read it as a matter of urgency, they probably will.
- Feed off peoples emotions by adding a feeling into your headlines.
- Make your headline a question, people are curious beasts and need to know an answer to a question.
- Show people how they can do something by being slack or lazy, many people are looking for an easy option.
Breaking up Your Content
As I mentioned before, big slabs of text are very undesirable, people just don’t have time to reed all this information. It didn’t used to be like this but things have changed.
As humans, we’re also very visual so make sure you add in images, videos or the buzz word these days, info-graphics! Youtube videos are very easy to embed, they have a share option under the video, which then gives you an embed option. Copy the link and insert it into your Text tab when writing a post. Easy!
With all this in mind, many people often ask, how long do you make your articles. Well, there is not one definite answer to this but I generally like to make my articles 600-700 words. An article should be 400 words minimum. I’ve seen articles over 1500 and gone elsewhere, I don’t have time to read that much.
Try to break up any paragraphs into 2-3 sentences. Sometimes even one depending on how long the sentence is. You’ll notice this paragraph is 4 sentences, that’s because they are quite small. You generally want a paragraph to be 2-3 lines.
Jaxxy keyword Tool
As mentioned at the start of this post, Keyword research is vitally important to having your content ranked through Google. The best Keyword tool that I’ve found is called Jaxxy. You can sign up for a free account which will give you 30 FREE searches. I have a review page for Jaxxy to show how it all works check it out here. Otherwise type a keyword in the required field below to get started.
In finishing up, a few home truths about what people like and don’t like.
Don’t bore your audience, if they don’t like what they are reading, there are many other website articles with tons more information. You need to capture them from the beginning.
Don’t worry about being controversial. Just state that it’s your opinion only. This can improve your rankings as more comments will head your way.
Don’t veer off direction. Keep the content relevant to your website niche. It can be easy to follow a lead in another direction, keep focus and make it relevant.
Hopefully I’ve given you some helpful tips to writing great content here.
Feel free to make a comment below and let me know if I can be of any assistance.
If you are just starting to get a feel for this and want to learn more about affiliate marketing, I urge you to read my review on Wealthy Affiliate, the industry leader when it comes to teaching all things affiliate marketing. If you’d like to check out their website, click here.
Just a Quick Comment About Rankings
One of the great unknown tricks about getting rankings in Google, is that Comments Rank. Google recognises comments like below, the more comments you have, the higher ranked site you will have. So if your starting out and need some help with a comment, leave a comment here with your website in the required field, and I’ll drop by your site and leave you a return comment. You can ask me a question, agree or disagree, or just have your own opinion.
All the wealth to you.